Many aspects of our jobs today are virtual and can be carried out remotely. For many companies, recent years have marked a shift from the traditional in-person interview to remote interviews over the phone or via video call. With remote interviews, companies can collect candidate data with a single push of a button. AI tools and transcription software make reviewing interviews as easy as pie, as interviewers spend less time on administrative tasks and more time focusing on candidate responses.
- Prior to the interview, you should also inform the candidate who will be attending the interview and the specifics of what they’ll be addressing.
- Remote interviews have taken off with companies that are still hiring during the pandemic, offering businesses a safe way to scale their teams without having to wait for offices to reopen.
- If you follow the advice above, you are sure to make things easier for everyone and also acquire the right people for your company.
- The graphic is then used when the guest is speaking (i.e. in place of video shots).
- This means if you or the candidate need a few minutes to fix technical issues, you won’t be pressed for time.
Keep initial small talk short and focus on your questions, the job description, and the candidate’s resume. When you wrap up the meeting, be clear on relaying the next steps so the applicant knows what to expect next. Furthermore, all the documents that might be needed in the process must be prepared.
Remote Interviewing Software Tools
It should be a place wherein the potential hire can complete the tasks set before them without having any distractions. Each person is unique and that means that they function in different ways. Some people thrive in having a messy desk whereas others need to have a completely tidy station at all times. This is what remote work offers people – a way to work in a place that they are comfortable in.
- Using your computer’s webcam application, you can record a practice session with some rehearsed answers to see how you look.
- Even if the questions turn out to be a little different, you’ll know how you should go about answering them.
- You could also ask candidates to complete a skills test or provide a sample of work according to a brief you give them to get a stronger sense of their abilities and talents.
- Doing so will not only clear your queries, but the interviewer will realize how well you’ve prepared and the extent of your research.
- The key difference between a remote interview (also called virtual or online interview) and a traditional in-person interview is obviously the location of the interview partners.
As with every interview ever, it’s essential to show up well-prepared. But when it comes to interviews for remote roles, it’s even more important, as people who work from home need to be especially proactive, organized, and communicative. Working remotely means that sometimes you’re going to feel a bit…remote. Can you think of a time when you needed to be proactive about researching how to do something?
Join the conversation Cancel reply
And try not to hold any technical issues against the candidate; simply because they may not have a fast internet connection or access to the latest technology. As companies scramble to fill a record number of job openings remotely, the internet is awash in tips for candidates seeking to stand out from the crowd while confined to a Zoom box. Remote interviewing is here to stay, as the pandemic and its evolving offshoot, the Great Resignation, continue to reshape the modern workplace. They’re also seeking flexibility, well-being, and a workplace culture that aligns with their own values and sensibilities.
Do your best to anticipate those potential problems and eliminate them before they occur. The right attire can put you in the correct frame of mind and encourage a positive first impression. So, even if you know it’s a phone interview, and the other person will never see you, dress up anyway. And, if nothing else, dressing up will put you in the “interview” mindset. Whether it’s a phone interview or a video interview, make sure you have the interview someplace that’s distraction-free.
Recruiting and Growing Your Team – Nottingham Trent University
If you don’t have a dedicated process for interviews at your company, now is the time to put one in place. Not only will this ensure interviews are consistent across the board, but it will enable you to collect all the relevant information you need from candidates so you can make an informed decision. The keys to preparing well for a remote interview are pretty much like a standard interview. remote interview meaning Yet, there are differences, and you can refer to your notes and have a glimpse of reference, which is not the case with regular interviews. But to make sure that you don’t have to steal glances of your notes, research, and proper preparation by following the points mentioned above becomes vital. You don’t want to come off as utterly clueless about questions during a remote interview.
After all, the key to cracking your remote interview is to be well-prepared to answer your motivations. At the very least, you should be aware of the company and the position you’re applying for and not just theoretically. It won’t be a bad idea to pose questions by yourself and answer them to prepare for the interview. The interviewer should never feel that you are taking the interview for granted, but he shouldn’t think you’re quickly taken aback. Hence, it would be best if you struck the perfect balance to rock your remote interview.
We recommend that you have the questions to ask in an interview written down, along with the job description and CV of the candidate. Candidate feedback is a valuable source of input on how to improve the remote interview process. Asking candidates what worked well for them and what could be improved is a good way to get some feedback. If there are any obstacles in the process on the candidate’s side, they should be removed quickly – otherwise, high-quality candidates might be lost.
- And while that’s normal and totally understandable, it’ll be important for you to demonstrate that you know how to navigate these gray areas.
- One way to enhance these skills is with a Presenting Your Work Course, designed to help you create powerful messages about what you can really achieve.
- Companies gain more than $270 million each year as a result of employees being more satisfied in their work due to flexible work options.